Bloglogger Lair

Me. My thoughts. And they won't kill.

AUTHOR: DLAUPOSER
LOCATION: SINGAPORE

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Chinese New Year

It's been more than one week since we celebrated Chinese New Year.

Now that I reflect on it, I don't think too many people were really in a festive mood. Even during the festive period, people are so loaded with work. School work, home work, tuition work, and what have you. I don't understand why we need to be flooded with all kinds of work when it is obviously the time for us to have fun. Little wonder people don't, or rather, can't appreciate this uniquely Chinese event nowadays. And who can we blame? Westernization? Far from it. The fact that many in Singapore still adhere to the good old (or, stupid old in my opinion) value that we should work hard till the day we die has gradually made such special occasions seem rather diminished and routine.

That aside, my cousin, together with his wife and 3-year old son who are all currently residing in England came back to spend Chinese New Year with us. And his 3-year old son is like so cute. Unlike many 3-year olds who tend to shy away from strangers, he is so sociable and speaks very well too! I think that's because his parents are well educated and also because he has been living in a Western, English-speaking enviornment. Har Har.. Now you know what I mean when I say it's good to be English educated. Anyway, it felt so good to have someone you know come home for a special occasion like this after being away for so long. Yes, long - 2 years since he last came.

Anyway, I haven't sorted out the red packets I had received during CNY but I guess it will total $250-$300, as usual. And as I've planned, only after two hundred bucks goes into my bank will I spend any remainder. I don't understand how some people can bear to splash out their entire red packet collection, or salary for that matter to buy things they want without saving a single cent first. I certainly can't bear to.

Oh well, since the celebrations are virtually over, it's time to get back to my projects too, then..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<bgsound src="http://www.blogupload.com/73117/07_Fields_of_Gold.wma" >