Bloglogger Lair

Me. My thoughts. And they won't kill.

AUTHOR: DLAUPOSER
LOCATION: SINGAPORE

Friday, June 15, 2007

I Love Potatoes

I hardly consider it an insult when someone calls me a "potatohead" or "potato-eater".

In fact, I consider it a compliment. The fact I'm branded a "potatohead" or "potato-eater" represents the person's acknowlegement of my desire to be deassociated with the low class and superficial Asian culture. Not many acknowledgements could ever be better than this.

So why would I want to be deassociated with the Asian culture? Why would I want to embrace the Western culture instead of the good old Asian culture, being an Asian myself? Well, the following excerpts from the book "Affluenza" by Oliver James explains quite clearly, why.


"I met few Singaporeans who seemed to have any life outside work. Most are doing jobs that entail very long hours (sixty or more a week), dedicating their minds and bodies to selling of services or commodities rather than to activities they find intrinsically absorbing."

"All had been caned as children by parents and subsequently put under tremendous pressure at school. This surely means that they are more easily coerced into subservience to authority and its goals in the workplace, and a sense of filial duty (originally based on fear of the cane) anchors the people-machines in place. Until they are married they remain in the family home, where parents can continue to monitor them; it is barely thinkable for them to take off for other countries where they would have greater freedom."

"These examples, and that of Singapore as a nation, were the purest that I encountered on my mind tour of the damage done by the Virus to the playfulness and sense of volition which are so important for well-being."


So you see, as unbelievable as it may seem, I really appreciate the "potatohead" and "potato-eater" comments.

That's because I do not want to be associated with a culture whose people condone, and even propagate, directly or indirectly, not having a life outside of work.

I do not want to be associated with a culture whose people use oppressive, barbaric methods to instil fear and to breed obedience. I believe obedience will naturally follow when understanding is first put in place. If little efforts are invested in relating this understanding, how can we expect obedience?

I do not want to be associated with a culture whose people-machines are not capable of independent thinking.

I do not want to be associated with a conservative culture whose people seek to censor all media content deemed unacceptable to them. Just THEM, and the world is devoid of such content.

I do not want to be associated with a rigid, retarded society where aspiring musicians and movie makers are mocked at for wanting to pursue a career in the creative industries instead of a career down the regular trodden path.

I do not want to be associated with a culture whose people refuse to get real, get out of this well called Singapore (so they're able to see whatever Singapore does is not the LAW and that in fact, it's nothing because what we do is only what one of the hundreds of countries do), experience other cultures so they are able to make informed decisions in future.

I do not want to be associated with a culture whose stingy, pathetic bosses will not think twice, lest be remorseful about exploiting their workers with long hours and low wages.

A first world country we may be, but a third world Asian culture is evident for all to see.

Thank goodness for the English language. It's the hallmark of civilisation.

And thank goodness for the Western culture. Really.

1 Comments:

Blogger monster's mom said...

You hit it on the dot. I was sitting in a garden when it struck me why I have been having so many problems with my life. Why I am having difficulty finding my own voice, passion, true self.

And it dawned on me - asian culture instills fear. We are raised to fear authority, to give up any right to think, believe, be. Our parents dictate what we eat, wear, do, who we hang out with. Then, when we grow up we're thrown into a world and people wonder why we're so f'ed up.

I get it now. I will not let my culture bring me down!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<bgsound src="http://www.blogupload.com/73117/07_Fields_of_Gold.wma" >